How to think about race and policing

Click here for the 86-page 3/4/2015 "Department of Justice Report Regarding The Criminal Investigation Into The Shooting Death of Michael Brown by Ferguson, Missouri Police Officer Darren Wilson."
UtahOwl
Site Admin

How to think about race and policing

Post by UtahOwl »

I had the opportunity to chat with former SLC Police Chief Chris Burbank. He now works for the Center for Policing Equity. Its mission is:
As a research and action think tank, CPE aims to provide leadership in equity through excellence in research. Using evidence-based approaches to social justice, we use data to create levers for social, cultural and policy change. CPE also holds a 501(c)3 status.
Collaboration Creates Equity Improvements
We work collaboratively with law enforcement, communities, and political stakeholders to identify ways to strengthen relationships with the communities they serve. Together, we increase policing equity through transparency and accountability, while maintaining high standards of service, reliability, and protection.

While pursuing research on our current book, I looked at their Research tab and found the following study: Identity traps:How to think about race and policing http://policingequity.org/identity-trap ... -policing/
Since the summer of 2014, Americans have seen more videos of violent interactions between police and non-Whites than ever before. While the interpretation of some specific incidents remains contentious and data on police use of force are scant, there is evidence that racial disparities in policing exist even when considering racial disparities in crime. The traditional civil rights model of institutional reform assumes that racial bigotry is the primary cause of these disparities; it attempts to address problems through adversarial litigation, protest, and education
This is dated May 2017, and I think it's a valuable counterweight to the MacDonald book, which impresses me as an anti-progressive polemic. I should point out that the Manhattan Institute (where Heather MacDonald is a Fellow) had $1 million in support from the Koch network as of Jane Mayer’s Dark Money ( Coopyright 2016 ,see endpapers, back of book).

Return to “Reference Materials - The War On Cops: How the New Attack on Law & Order Makes Everyone Less Safe by Heather MacDonald - Sep 6”