Original Proposal

The September 2017 Bulletin for the Harvard Club of NYC, released today (Aug 24), listed among the zillions of scheduled events a presentation on Thurs Evening Oct 5 by Heather MacDonald on “War on Cops” which is our focus book for 9/6/2017.

If any of the two dozen or so subscribers to our weekly newsletter who are based in NYC is able to attend this event, please do so and let us know what happened. [If you are not a member of the club, I can register you for this event.]
johnkarls

Original Proposal

Post by johnkarls »

Originally proposed by John Karls » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:25 am -- 232 views before being transplanted here.

I propose that we read NY Times Bestseller “The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Less Safe” by Heather MacDonald (Encounter Books 6/21/2016 - $16.31 hardcover + shipping or $9.60 Kindle from Amazon.com – 233 pages sans index).

Because it will complement nicely our past conclusions that The Establishment “frankly does NOT give a damn” (to quote Rhett Butler from Gone With The Wind) about America’s 30% Permanent Under-Caste.

As a result of which, The Establishment has tried to focus America’s 30% Permanent Under-Caste on police brutality, since that costs relatively nothing when contrasted with doing the “heavy lifting” of providing our inner-city children with a decent education in order to mainstream America’s 30% Permanent Under-Caste.

[NB: We have always defined The Establishment as the billionaires who “own” virtually all the pols of both political parties as a result of campaign contributions and who “own” many members of the media and who “own” many members of academia.]

AUTHOR BIO

An author of several bestsellers, Heather MacDonald is the Thomas W. Smith Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal. Her writings have also appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, The New Republic, Partisan Review, The New Criterion, Public Interest, and Academic Questions.

MacDonald received her B.A. in English from Yale University, graduating with a Mellon Fellowship to Cambridge University, where she earned her M.A. in English and studied in Italy through a Clare College study grant.

Her J.D. is from Stanford University Law School.

A non-practicing lawyer, MacDonald has clerked for the Honorable Stephen Reinhardt, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, has been an attorney-adviser in the Office of the General Counsel of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and a volunteer with the Natural Resources Defense Council in New York City.

The New Jersey State Law Enforcement Officers Association conferred its Civilian Valor Award on her in 2004. She was awarded the 2008 Integrity in Journalism award from the New York State Shields. She was also the recipient of the 2008 Eugene Katz Award for Excellence in the Coverage of Immigration from the Center for Immigration Studies and the 2012 Quill & Badge Award for Excellence in Communication from the International Union of Police Associations.

BOOK REVIEW EXCERPTS

“Heather Mac Donald is an unsung hero in the transformation of New York into the safest large city in the United States. Her essays helped to lay out the rationale that gave me and my police commissioners guidance during the largest continuous reduction in crime ever accomplished in our city and nation. This book is a necessary read for anyone wondering what is happening in ‘the capital of the world.’”
—The Honorable Rudolph Giuliani, former mayor of New York City

“The War on Cops is an important and timely book. Mac Donald’s clear-eyed analysis separates fact from fiction and provides keen insights into the politics at play and the consequences for law-enforcement officers and the communities they are sworn to protect.”
—Ray Kelly, former commissioner of the New York City Police Department

“If you have heard the rhetoric on all sides of the issues involving the police, and would like some facts to put that rhetoric to the test, there is no better source than The War on Cops. Whether you want facts about the explosive events in Ferguson, Missouri, or in Baltimore, or you want to know why murder rates in New York City fell sharply in the 1990s, this is the place to find solid information. If you want to understand the role of race in all this, that, too, is documented with data. This is a book that can save lives.”
—Thomas Sowell, the Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University

“Heather Mac Donald has made an indispensable contribution to our public debates with her incisive and critical reporting on the thorny issues of race, crime, and policing in America’s big cities. Time and again, I have found myself turning to her writings for guidance. While I do not always agree with what I find, I often do. Moreover, I am invariably edified. All serious students of urban America today should read this book and reckon with its arguments.”
—Glenn C. Loury, the Merton P. Stolz Professor of the Social Sciences, Brown University

“The War on Cops offers a perspective that supporters of law enforcement have long been waiting for. It is informed by street-level reporting, knowledge of real-world policing, and empirical research. Unlike many in academia and journalism, Mac Donald understands that assertive policing protects law-abiding poor—and often minority—citizens trapped in ghettos where violence and crime are unfortunately making a comeback.”
—Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr., Milwaukee County, Wisconsin

Return to “Original Proposal - The War On Cops: How the New Attack on Law & Order Makes Everyone Less Safe by Heather MacDonald - Sep 6”