Original Proposal

UtahOwl
Site Admin

Original Proposal

Post by UtahOwl »

The Measure of a Nation - HS Friedman
Originally proposed by UtahOwl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm – 6 views before being transplanted here.

The Measure of a Nation: How to Regain America’s Competitive Edge and Boost Our Global Standing, by Howard Steven Friedman, is avalable from Amazon in paperback for $13.60 and Kindle edition for $8.69.

It was one of Jared Diamond's picks for Best Book of 2012, according to his interview on By The Book, NYTimes Sunday Book Review, 17 Jan 2-13 --

NEW YORK TIMES: If you had to come up with your own Best of 2012 list, what book would be at the top?

PROF. JARED DIAMOND: There were so many good books in 2012 that rather than attempt to identify the best of them, I’ll mention here one that is among the best and that deserves more attention than it has received. It’s Howard Steven Friedman, “The Measure of a Nation: How to Regain America’s Competitive Edge and Boost Our Global Standing.” Despite the subtitle, this book is not just another one of hundreds of books making recommendations about what the U.S. should be doing. Instead, Friedman compares the United States with 13 other rich countries in five vital measures of individual and national security: health, safety, education, democracy and equality. Friedman explains clearly and convincingly, writes engagingly and laces his text with personal examples. Contrary to what many Americans think, the U.S. does not lead the world by these measures. Friedman’s recommendations are specific and feasible. I’m glad that I resisted my instinct of dismissing the book when I first saw its cover: it’s thought-provoking, and good reading.

Return to “Original Proposal – How To Regain America’s Competitive Edge And Boost Our Global Standing – March 13th”