Young Children Killed By American Drones

Please refer to the "Reference Materials" Section of this Bulletin Board for our 5/14/2008 meeting for 22 voluminous reference materials that are relevant here. They include the text of the so-called Bush "torture memos" and the text of the decision of the European Court of Human Rights in The IRA v. The UK regarding whether 5 specific enhanced interrogation methods constituted "torture" and the CIA briefings of "The Gang of Eight" (who were the Chair and Ranking Member of the four Congressional intelligence committees including, famously, Nancy Pelosi as subsequently "outed" by Leon Panetta as CIA chief at the time of the "outing").

However, you should click on the title above for additional reference materials such as the CBS "60 Minutes" Transcript of its 4/29/12 interview of our author and the lengthy NY Times 5/29/12 article on President Obama's "Kill List" -- both of which were part of the Original Proposal of this Topic.
ellenbirrell
Site Admin

Young Children Killed By American Drones

Post by ellenbirrell »

[Reading Liberally Editorial Note: Ellen Birrell and her husband, Jim Hutchinson, were Reading Liberally stalwarts until they left Utah about 5 years ago to sail the world in general, and the Caribbean in particular, on their yacht, Boldly Go.]

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: Drone deaths
Date: Tue, January 22, 2013 4:19 pm
To: readingliberally-saltlake@johnkarls.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

John,

Although I couldn’t find the original article that claimed 378 children under the age of 3 years have been killed by the American drones, as recalled in our immediately-succeeding exchange of e-mails, I was able to find the Huffington Post article set forth below following the brief e-mails.

The report refers to deaths of 178 children in Pakistan and Yemen only. I believe the story I read cited deaths worldwide. I imagine if Afghanistan were included this number would be larger. I can remember the national news reporting over 40 people killed during a wedding party by a drone and children were part of it. Of course if you search “children killed in drone strikes” you will see some stories reporting some very large numbers when all humans are counted.

Warm regards,
Ellen

Subject: Re: Re: Short Quiz - John Brennan's Nomination To Head The CIA - For Wed Feb 6th
Date: Sat, January 19, 2013 2:53 pm
To: Ellen Birrell

Dear Ellen,

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

The 378 children would fit very nicely in Q&A-9, as well as several other
places.

So, yes please, could you provide the citation?

I hope all is well with you and Jim!!!

Your friend,

John K.

Subject: Re: Short Quiz - John Brennan's Nomination To Head The CIA - For
Wed Feb 6th
Date: Sat, January 19, 2013 6:01 am
To: readingliberally-saltlake@johnkarls.com

John,

This is fascinating. Will you touch on how Obama (perhaps with counsel
from CIA) has increased the Drone program from hundreds in Bush's admin to
thousands of drones under Obama's own admin?

And that to date the fact that 378 children under the age of 3 years have been killed by
drones is not in public conversation. That astounds me. (I can get the source
on that, if you wish.)

Warm regards,
Ellen

U.S. Drone Strikes Are Causing Child Casualties: Video and Report
By Robert Griswold, Filmmaker, Brave New Foundation
Huffington Post - 12/1/2012

During my recent trip to Pakistan as part of our upcoming documentary film, Drones Exposed, I was struck most by the stories told to me by children who had experienced a U.S. drone strike firsthand. The impact of America’s drone war in the likes of Pakistan and Yemen will linger on, especially for the loved ones of the 178 children killed in those countries by U.S. drone strikes.

War Costs’ latest video (with accompanying report) brings attention to the children who have died as a result of drone strikes. The video names some of the children who perished in these strikes, and points out the obfuscation tactics of American officials who will not own up to the significant amount of civilian casualties that have occurred due to this legally- and morally-dubious policy.

In addition to the video, War Costs offers this report detailing the effects of drone strikes on children. The findings come mainly from the diligent investigative reporting of TBIJ and the groundbreaking reports on the impact of drone strikes by Stanford and New York University researchers (Living Under Drones: Death, Injury and Trauma to Civilians from US Drone Practices in Pakistan) and researchers at Columbia University (The Civilian Impact of Drones: Unexamined Costs, Unanswered Questions).

In an effort to compel answers about why these innocent civilians have died without acknowledgement or explanation from the U.S. government, War Costs is calling on the U.S. House of Representatives to debate and pass Rep. Dennis Kucinich's bill that calls for more transparency regarding U.S. drone strike policy.

For more on War Costs’ upcoming drones film, visit our the Huffington Post website.

Return to “Reference Materials - John Brennan's Nomination To Head The CIA - Feb 6th”