Ref J - Offer to the National "I Have a Dream"® Foundation

“Inner-City Holocaust and America’s Apartheid ‘Justice’ System” is a book that “Yours Truly” has (except for the final chapter) already written and placed in safe hands. However, the last chapter cannot be written before Fall 2011 because it will record the actions taken, if any, by the recipients of the 5 letters whose texts are posted in this section (the casual reader would best start with the letters to Messrs. Axelrod/Plouffe and to Sen. Chris Coons) =

(1) to President Obama and 20 other US & California governmental officials imploring them AS THEY REFUSED TO DO LAST YEAR to cause Amicus Curiae briefs to be filed on behalf of 10 million inner-city children and thereby REPRESENT THEIR OWN CONSTITUENTS.

(2) to Gwen Ifill and 42 other news-media superstars imploring them AS THEY REFUSED TO DO LAST YEAR to provide the same kind of spotlight on the lawsuits involving the 10 million inner-city children that they routinely provide for, say, David Boies and his Proposition 8 lawsuits.

(3) to 51 inner-city clergy from Los Angeles, San Francisco and Oakland CA providing the latest report on what the report described as “The Segregated Toilet and The Fatal Flush” – the “Segregated Toilet” being the abhorrent practice, even authorized by statute in California, that judges can flush away the rights of minorities in opinions THAT CANNOT BE PUBLISHED OR CITED because the judges know that the opinions are diametrically opposed to the well-settled law enjoyed by first-class American citizens.

(4) to Messrs. David Axelrod and David Plouffe, the Chicago- and Washington-based co-heads of President Obama’s Reelection Campaign providing them a “heads up” on what is “going down” because the aim of “Inner-City Holocaust” is to make the inaction of the 21 governmental officials an issue in any 2012 re-election campaigns in which they are involved – by making “Inner-City Holocaust” available without charge and electronically for ethics classes in law schools and divinity schools, and in undergraduate courses in political science, ethics/philosophy, sociology, etc.

(5) to U.S. Senator Christopher Coons from Delaware, newly elected last November, to provide him a “heads up” on what is “going down” because Senator Coons served with “Yours Truly” in the 1990’s on the national “I Have A Dream”® Board as Secretary and Treasurer, respectively, and it was IHAD- and IHAD-style programs that the $84 billion involved in the lawsuits was designed to provide for the 10-million inner-city children.

“Inner-City Holocaust” has been written In Memory Of John Howard Griffin whose “Black Like Me” half a century ago tried to convince America of its racism.

It is also written in honor of Jonathan Kozol whose award-winning books over the last half century have tried to convince America that it has created a permanent “untouchable” under-caste as a result of its racism – (1) The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America (2005); (2) Ordinary Resurrections: Children in the Years of Hope (2001); (3) Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation (1995); (4) Savage Inequalities: Children in America’s Schools (1991); (5) Rachel and Her Children (1988); (6) Illiterate America (1985); (7) The Night is Dark and I Am Far From Home: Political Indictment of US Public Schools (1975); (8) Death at an Early Age (1967)

One might wonder why I am placing myself on the same stage as these two Saints. I’m not. They are on pedestals in my place of worship. Like one of Ghandi’s followers, it is my turn to have my head bashed in since the expected reactions to the prospect of “Inner-City Holocaust” are to try to defame me and to try to explain why the racism of the judges involved, the 21 governmental officials and the 43 news-media super-stars is all my fault rather than theirs.
johnkarls

Ref J - Offer to the National "I Have a Dream"® Foundation

Post by johnkarls »

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: I Have A Dream
Date: Mon, March 22, 2010 11:57 am
To: pfishbein@kayescholer.com
Att – Taking IHAD to the next level
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harvard Club - Box 126
27 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036
March 22, 2010

Peter M. Fishbein, Esq
Kaye Scholer LLP
425 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022

[Editorial Note = As of 3/22/2010, the IHAD-National web site listed the Board of Directors as headed by two Co-Chairs, one of whom was Peter Fishbein who, per the web site, also served as General Counsel. When I was a Director and Treasurer of IHAD-National in the 1990’s, Peter was General Counsel but chose not to serve as a Director, which was why he apparently was unaware of the two legal imbroglios described in the e-mail below. On 3/22/2010 when I called Peter to offer to assign to IHAD-National all of my rights in the 15 lawsuits against the world’s 15 largest financial institutions, Peter inquired about the legal imbroglio involving “X” [name redacted - "X" is described in the following e-mail] apparently because, as a fellow Harvard Law alumnus, he had been embarrassed by the resignation of my friend Lillian Rothschild Berkman from the IHAD-National Board because she also served on the Harvard University Board of Overseers and Chaired its Subcommittees on New-Building Contributions and Oversight of Harvard Law School –- and Lillian had apparently (per Peter Fishbein) told friends of hers on the Harvard University Board of Overseers and told the Harvard Law School Dean (Robert Clark) with whom she was especially close on a social basis that she had resigned from the IHAD-National Board because of a legal scandal involving “X” [name redacted]. THE NEXT TIME I CHECKED THE IHAD-NATIONAL WEB SITE (8/21/2010) TO PROVIDE A “HEADS UP” THAT I WAS CONTACTING 43 AMERICAN NEWS-MEDIA SUPERSTARS AND THEY MIGHT HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT MY OFFER TO ASSIGN MY LEGAL RIGHTS GRATIS TO IHAD-NATIONAL, PETER WAS NO LONGER ASSOCIATED WITH IHAD-NATIONAL (accordingly, the “heads up” was provided to the Executive Director whom I did not know, together with a copy of this e-mail to Peter).]

Dear Peter:

It was a pleasure to chat with you again this morning after so long.

The main reason for this e-mail is that a few moments after we finished, my cell phone on which we had been speaking (01-917-270-1280) registered the receipt of a text message and, unfortunately, I am old school and do not have a texting capability. Accordingly, if you were the texter (and nobody tries to text me except once in a blue moon), I would suggest an e-mail or another call.

The secondary reason for this e-mail is to provide some background information about two historical IHAD-National legal matters about which you seemed somewhat surprised.

When I became the volunteer treasurer of IHAD-National, the existing staff was headed by an Executive Director whose name I no longer remember (she was two ahead of “X” [name redacted] in that position) and who seemed eager to tell me about quite a few improprieties involving Gene Lang.

I always took the position that I didn’t want to hear anything about them unless they affected the IHAD-National legal entity of which I was treasurer.

One did.

One of the most recent IHAD projects at that time (the mid-1990’s), which was in the NYC area, involved a couple acting as sponsors whom Gene had instructed to deposit the college-scholarship funds for the Dreamers they were adopting with Gene personally. They and Gene agreed on 2-3 payments over a few months but after the first payment, they believed Gene had commingled their funds with his own personal funds and took the position that they would not deposit the remaining funds with Gene.

So why did this involve IHAD-National as an organization???

Because the college-scholarship guarantee was made to that set of Dreamers on IHAD-National stationary with Gene signing as chairman of IHAD-National. Accordingly, the letters comprised a unilateral-contract offer giving rise to a legal obligation of IHAD-National.

As treasurer, I of course insisted that IHAD-National recognize this legal liability on our financial statements. Gene resigned from the board in a huff.

In all fairness to Gene, I can appreciate why he was offended that anyone should question whether he would make good on the commingled funds and I’m sure that he well knew that as a practical matter, nobody would prosecute an American icon. Unfortunately, I was not an American icon and didn’t want to spend my retirement years at Leavenworth. If Gene is still offended, by the way, that I was forced to make an issue of this, I am very sorry (indeed, I apologized to Gene for being forced to make it an issue at the time, both before and after the event).

The second legal matter???

As previously mentioned, “X” [name redacted] was the third Executive Director with whom I served.

I was her strongest supporter for her first 2-3 years in office – recruiting Lillian Rothschild Berkman for the National Board and raising some significant contributions for IHAD-National from some of my IHAD-Stamford donors (in addition to making quite a few myself with my personal contributions to IHAD-National probably adding up to more than $100 thousand) – even though I was only the treasurer and Chris Coons was in charge of fund raising.

In addition, I took “X” [name redacted] by the hand to Bob Dole’s lobbying firm to try to pry some money out of Congress (I used to use that firm for tax lobbying when I was Senior Tax Counsel and Director of Worldwide Tax Planning for Texaco Inc. 1974-87 when it was still a Fortune-Ten company). “X” [name redacted] was utterly unprepared so I had to make the presentation myself and it was fortunate that I had put together a leave piece at the last minute before departing for the DC shuttle since it occurred to me that “X” [name redacted] might not do so.

However, before Bob Dole and his colleagues were able to obtain governmental funding for IHAD-National, I discovered that “X” [name redacted] had been embezzling funds from the U.S. Government’s Americorp Program on behalf of IHAD-National.

By way of background, virtually all of Americorp grants were made to local IHAD programs, courtesy of some wonderful work done by Chris Coons. However, Chris set up the funding for any local IHAD program that wanted Americorp volunteers so that the money would flow through IHAD-National. And as a relatively new organization, Americorp had established a procedure with Chris pursuant to which all IHAD-National had to do was inform Americorp on a continuing basis how much money it wanted and when, and the funds would be automatically transferred.

However, Americorp did have established regulations with which Chris was intimately familiar when he established all of these procedures, that the transfers requested by IHAD-National were geared time-wise to the actual expenditures by the local IHAD projects.

Like you this morning, I had always been informing the Board at each of its meetings the date on which IHAD-National would run out of funds. When my predictions failed to come true, I immediately investigated and discovered that “X” [name redacted] had decided to begin accessing Americorp funds in an ever-increasing amount above the legal limit that she knew existed.

I told her that IHAD-National should immediately return the excess funds and that we would just have to default on our obligations, including payroll.

She refused. I informed the Board and they refused to support me. So I said that I would resign as treasurer unless the Board was at least willing to obtain a legal opinion from you regarding the imbroglio. The Board refused. I resigned as treasurer and informed Americorp what had happened.

The F.B.I. investigated “X” [name redacted]. The investigation took about 6 months. During the course of their investigation, they noted that “X” [name redacted] had a personal reason for embezzling the funds on behalf of IHAD-National because the embezzlements permitted IHAD-National to go on paying her salary. At the end of the investigation, the F.B.I. offered “X” [name redacted] the chance to resign from IHAD-National with no publicity about why she was resigning, or face criminal prosecution. Apparently, the F.B.I. did not want to damage the reputation of IHAD-National by prosecuting its Executive Director if that could be avoided.

“X” [name redacted] resigned.

During the F.B.I. investigation, I was replaced as the head of IHAD-Stamford by my board which comprised some of my large contributors (I had only funded personally about 50% of the required scholarship-endowment funds for my three classes comprising 200 Dreamers and had raised the remainder from others). A year or so later, I learned that “X” [name redacted] had engineered my replacement and that, as IHAD-National Executive Director, she had approved my ouster even though there was no successor sponsor for IHAD-Stamford as required by IHAD-National policy.

So there we have it. I am sorry to have to recall such unpleasantries, but since the Board never consulted you on the Americorp embezzlement (and who knows what you might have been told about Gene’s resignation from the Board), it seemed to me that as the highest-ranking attorney currently serving on the IHAD-National Board, you should be aware of this history.

For the sake of good order, this will confirm that you declined to serve on a pro bono basis as counsel in the event that the Supreme Court grants the petition for certiorari in the Goldman Sachs, Citicorp and ING lawsuits which would have been assigned to IHAD-National if you had been willing, while I continue to pursue the eleven California state court actions on a pro se basis until such time as IHAD-National might be willing to have them assigned also (all of the state-court actions are stayed in the trial court pending a decision by the California Court of Appeals – First District whether to re-affirm its 1988 decision in Gladstone vs. Hillel, 203 Cal.App.3d 977, 250 Cal.Rptr. 372, which appears to be controlling).

However, you also confirmed that if any of the California IHAD programs can obtain pro bono Supreme Court representation in the event certiorari is granted, there would be no objection from IHAD-National to my assigning any or all of the 15 lawsuits to the California IHAD programs.

Incidentally, if there is no attorney admitted to practice before the Supreme Court willing to take the Goldman/Citicorp/ING cases on a pro bono basis in the event certiorari is granted, my present intention is to proceed with the petitions on a pro se basis. However, I petitioned the Supreme Court once in the past on a pro se basis and recognize that the Supreme Court is virtually certain, as a practical matter, to reject a petition for certiorari from a pro se party.

As discussed, the size of the potential recoveries is difficult to estimate but Barclays Bank had $21 billion of foreign tax credit to sell to the 15 defendants and I requested treble punitive damages for a reckless failure to ascertain whether Barclays actually owned the property – for a total of $84 billion.

For your information, I am attaching a paper entitled “Taking I Have A Dream To The Next Level” to implement IHAD programs on the scale needed for all of our American inner-city children. I think you would agree that the description of the project would comport with IHAD guidelines if it were done within the IHAD framework. It appears on the bulletin board for a monthly political-discussion group that I lead in the location of my Utah ski house. The group is patterned after 2-3 discussion groups of the NYC Harvard Club in which I participate, though my group sends six-degrees-of-separation e-mails to US decision makers, such as the President. (The paper appears on our bulletin board = http://www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org as part of our six-degrees-of-separation e-mail campaign following our January meeting – the concept had been proposed to President Obama in a previous six-degrees-of-separation e-mail campaign following our May 2009 meeting.)

Good luck to you both personally and with IHAD-National. (Although you say IHAD-National will run out of funding by the end of the year, that Perils-of-Pauline scenario sounds very familiar!!!).

Sincerely yours,

John S. Karls

************************************************************************************************************************************************
There follows the text of the paper referenced in the penultimate paragraph of the foregoing e-mail --

TAKING "I HAVE A DREAM" TO THE NEXT LEVEL

In 1981, a self-made multi-billionaire returned to his alma mater, Harlem Public School 121, to address the graduating sixth graders and, on sudden inspiration, promised them their college tuition if they would stay in school. Eugene Lang then provided tutoring and mentoring for the next six years.

“Identical twin” studies consistently show that inner-city children have the same average I.Q. as suburban children. It is their environment (typically 99% single-adult households, 90% of which are headed by a druggie, almost all of whom turn any receipts such as welfare checks over to the pusher so that the kids have to steal just in order to eat) that produces the typically SINGLE-DIGIT inner-city H.S. graduation rates (if measured correctly by including everyone who has dropped out before the beginning of H.S. and including everyone incarcerated or killed).

Eugene Lang’s original program and the follow-on 180 "I Have A Dream" Programs in 51 American cities by the 1990’s demonstrated that the typically SINGLE-DIGIT inner-city H.S. graduation rates typically increased to 65%-70%.

The key to success is a “surrogate parent” (typically a tutor or mentor) who cares about the “Dreamer” and makes clear to her/him that s/he could make something of her/himself with the IHAD Program and it “would break the heart” of the “surrogate parent” if the “Dreamer” failed to do so.

Indeed, it was discovered that about 50% of the female “Dreamers” typically became pregnant and, as a practical matter, did not graduate from High School and proceed to college. And that the difference was that a “surrogate parent” of the females who had not become pregnant had made clear that it would break the heart of the “surrogate parent” if the “Dreamer” had not taken advantage of the IHAD Program, while the females who had become pregnant felt there was nobody in their lives who cared what happened to them and they were going to create a human being who cared. Following the discovery of the importance of a vocal “surrogate parent,” Dreamer pregnancies became very rare and High School graduation/college matriculation rates reached the 90% level.

In contrast, virtually all other “good ideas” (incentive pay for teachers, charter schools, early-intervention programs such as “Head Start,” etc., etc.) have only a negligible impact.

From 1992-2008, IHAD was the darling of national politicians. Hillary Clinton had served on Gene Lang’s national advisory board until the 1991 Iowa caucuses and Gene Sperling, Bill Clinton’s chief domestic adviser, had done his PhD thesis on IHAD. Meanwhile, both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush did extensive fund-raising for both IHAD-Houston and IHAD-Boston (the latter was led by their nephew/cousin Jamie Bush) and George H.W. Bush was fond of saying that his famous “1,000 Points of Light” speech was inspired by IHAD.

However, it has become clear that relying on wealthy individuals to found and fund an IHAD Program and relying on sufficient volunteers to step forward as tutors and mentors will never amount to more than a “drop in the bucket”!!!

The only way to obtain “surrogate parents” and “surrogate siblings” on the scale needed is to bring to reality “magnet schools” that are so outstanding (and for whose graduates the nation’s most prestigious colleges and universities will compete to admit) that suburban students will be attracted, but whose admittance to, and retention by, the “magnet school” will be conditioned on the suburban student and her/his family acting as a surrogate sibling and family for an inner-city student at the school.

It should be noted that the U.S. Supreme Court’s 6/28/2007 reversal of “Brown v. Board of Education” in “Parents v. Seattle School District No. 1” which held that race cannot be used as a criterion for achieving diversity, will probably block state/local funding for such “magnet schools” even if they otherwise qualify as “charter schools.”

Nevertheless, creating as many such “magnet schools” as possible to demonstrate that Gene Lang’s “surrogate parent” idea can be taken to the scale required, is essential to the future of our country and its finally achieving the ideal of opportunity for all. Hopefully, the success of such “magnet schools” will inspire the federal government (which is not subject to “Parents v. Seattle”) to undertake such “magnet schools” for all inner-city children.

If anyone has any comments or questions, a wealth of information is available on http://www.ReadingLiberally-SaltLake.org or by e-mailing at ReadingLiberally-SaltLake@johnkarls.com John Karls who founded and principally funded an IHAD Program serving 200 inner-city children and who served as Gene Lang’s volunteer national treasurer during the 1990’s.

johnkarls

Post by johnkarls »

Return to “Section 4 – Legal Briefs, Etc. – Inner-City Holocaust and America's Apartheid "Justice" System (In Honor of Jonathan Kozol and In Memory of John Howard Griffin)”