Greider's NYTimes "Nose Tweak" for Not Reviewing His Book

We will focus on Utah Owl's recommendation of William Greider's new book, "Come Home, America: The Rise and Fall (and Redeeming Promise) of Our Country" (published by Rodale 3/17/2009) - available at your local library or from Amazon.com for $17.13 new or $15.00 used + shipping.
johnkarls

Greider's NYTimes "Nose Tweak" for Not Reviewing His Book

Post by johnkarls »

The New York Times – May 31, 2009

Arts & Leisure – Letters to the Editor

Regarding their book review entitled “Capitalism’s Fault Lines” (May 17, 2009) of Richard Posner’s “A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of ’08 and the Descent into Depression” (Hardcover – May 15, 2009)

Reading Liberally Editorial Note – it is now painfully obvious with the failure to date of the NY Times to review William Greider’s “Come Home America” (Hardcover – March 17, 2009) while reviewing Posner’s book on virtually the same subject (the NY Times often publishes composite book reviews that cover 2-3 books on the same subject matter) and herewith publishes William Greider’s “Letter to the Editor” regarding their review of Posner’s book, that the NY Times will NEVER review “Come Home America”!!!

To the Editor:

Your reviewer, Jonathan Rauch, applauds the brilliance of Richard A. Posner’s intellectual back flip. After many years of leading cheers for the market ideology, Posner has discovered that unfettered market capitalism leads to instability and worse, a national catastrophe. Yet nobody is to blame, he explains, because people were acting “rationally” by following “market signals.” Rauch chortles at how capitalism’s critics will be deeply angered by Posner’s book.

Yes, I am. I was one of the guys who got the story right over the last 25 years, warning in my books and articles that governing elites were sowing economic disaster for the country. Now that it has occurred, I have a new book out myself — “Come Home, America” — that offers a very different understanding of what went wrong and suggests very different remedies for healing the economy and society. Posner pretends to intellectual conversation, but he is really feeding a self-serving monologue among established thought leaders, who promoted the narrow-minded dogma that still dominates mainstream media. “Mistakes” were made, but let’s move on since nobody is at fault. Americans cannot change the things that need to be changed if people hear only one point of view.

WILLIAM GREIDER
Washington

Return to “Reference Materials - Come Home America - June 10”